Friendship Firehouse - Tower Restoration
City of Alexandria
Design, Historic Preservation, Construction Administration
BAR, SHPO, NPS
Design – Build
The Friendship Fire Company was established in 1774, and was the first volunteer fire company in Alexandria. The current firehouse was built in 1855, remodeled in 1871 and renovated in 1992. This tower restoration was based on historical research, onsite investigation and laboratory analysis. The project addressed water infiltration into the structure, which was resolved with custom treatments combined with a respectful approach to the historical resources. BELL Architects provided architecture and restoration specialist services with architectural documents and construction administration. The historic firehouse (c.1855), required BAR, SHPO and NPS approvals.
The project included restoration of paint color based on historical research and site observation; restored roof access hatches, louvers and flashing treatments were implemented. Bell provided details for membrane roofing repair, custom flashing and counter flashing and custom passive ventilation and access louvers among other services. An additional service included custom architectural woodwork.