About BELL Architects
David Bell started the SBA certified small business in 1999 to fill an increasing need for professional A/E services concentrating on sustainable design, historic preservation and community development for institutional, commercial and mixed-use projects. Located in an enterprise zone within the Shaw Historic District of Washington, DC, BELL has taken on the immediate needs of the city’s neighborhoods through context-specific sustainable design.
The staff of 18 has expertise in site analysis, master planning, rehabilitation, systems integration and the public consultation and approval process. There are seven LEED accredited design professionals who have worked extensively with LEED certified projects. BELL Architects developed their office, a DC historic building into a LEED certified rehabilitation.
Our Award-Winning Team
T. David Bell
FAIA, LEEDap BD+C, Founding Principal and President of BELL Architects, PC
David Bell has a passion and expertise for integrating history, culture and sustainable design into the built environment.
An award winning architect based in Washington, DC, he is involved in a variety of project types, scales and uses, including Educational Facilities, Libraries, Museums, Recreation Centers, Parks, Theaters, and mixed-use and multi-modal transportation centers. Critical skills include leading the public process and engaging communities in visioning. He is an expert in rehabilitation and creative accessibility upgrades. He has provided Section 106 review, DC Section 9B and documentation for historic properties. His skills and interest are focused on integrating technology and traditional construction to achieve superior results with respect to conserving energy, environmental, financial and historic resources.
Mr. Bell has served on numerous boards and committees and is founding chair of the AIA DC High Performance Building Committee.
- Bachelor of Architecture | 1983
- Virginia Tech
- 1986 | Architecture | VA | DC | MD
- 2004 | LEED Accredited
- LEEDap BD+C Designer
- Historical Architect
- Planning and Urban Design
- Program Management
- New Construction
- Rehabilitation, Adaptive Use
- 33 years of experience | 16 years with firm
Boards & Organizations
- DC American Institute of Architects High Performance Building Committee | Founding Chair
- DC American Institute of Architects | Former Director
- DC Preservation League | Former Trustee and Former President
- Cultural Tourism DC | Trustee and Treasurer
- Smithsonian- HMSG 16 yrs | docent Emeritus
- Youth Hockey Coach 20+ yrs
- Washington City Paper's 2016 Best of DC Staff Picks, Best Roof , UDC Urban Agriculture Roof | 2016
- Montgomery Preservation-Rehabilitation Award, The Darby Store | 2016
- Architizer A + Award Jury Winner | Details: Architecture + Stone, Gadsby’s Tavern Ice Well | 2016
- AIA DC - Award of Merit in Historic Resources | 2014
- Preservation Virginia - Outstanding Preservation Project: The Gabriella Page Preservation Award | 2014
- Virginia Society AIA - Excellence in Historic Preservation Merit Award | 2014
- AIA DC - Special Citation in Historic Resources | 2013
- National Housing & Rehabilitation Association (NH&RA) Timmy Award for Excellence in Historic Rehabilitation | 2012
- AIA DC- Presidential Citation for Sustainable Design | 2012
- AIA DC- Award for Excellence in Historic Resources | 2012
- Committee of 100 on the Federal City - Vision Award | 2012
- ED+C - Government/Institutional Renovation National Award | 2012
- DC HPRB Chairman's Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation | 2012
- National Victorian Society Award | 2012
- DC Mayors Award of Merit for Historic Resources | 2010
- Builder National Award of Merit - Modernization of Historic Resources | 2010
- Builder National Grand Prize - Modernization of Historic Resources | 2007
- GSA Design Award- Urban Design | 1998
- DC AIA Award of Excellence- Historic Resources | 1998
- VA ASLA Award of Merit-Restoration | 1996
- WI Trust for Historic Preservation | 1993
AIA, NCARB, LEEDap, Principal and Vice President of BELL Architects, PC
Bob Swank has over 40 years of architectural experience in all phases of design and construction, with particular expertise in technical coordination, detailing and quality assurance on complex projects.
He has extensive experience with renovation and additions for federal and local government as well as private sector clients. Recently, he has directed IDC contracts that include programming, building design and construction management for DC Government agencies typically ranging from $1 million to $20 million in construction costs.
Mr. Swank’s focus includes residential, commercial, industrial, recreational and child development facilities work. He has managed a variety of US Embassy facility upgrade and expansion projects, including new Diplomatic Staff housing and related staff community facilities and has been involved with domestic Federal Government projects, including airport upgrades and expansions and numerous projects for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.
- Bachelor of Architecture | 1973
- Penn State
- 1976 | Architecture | VA
- NCARB Certified
- 2009 | LEED Accredited
- LEEDap Principal
- Senior Architect
- Quality Control
- New Construction
- Renovation and Expansion
- Complex Project Coordination
- Indefinite Delivery Contracts
- Federal and Local Government
- 40+ years of experience | 14 years with firm
Boards & Organizations
- CHAMPS, member, 2002-present
- DCBIA, member, 2002-present
- ABC, Inc.- Juror 22nd Annual Metropolitan Washington Excellence in Construction Awards Program
- ABC, Inc.- Juror 23rd Annual Metropolitan Washington Excellence in Construction Awards Program
- Builder Magazine National Grand Prize for Modernization (2007)
- National AIA Citation Award for Architectural Excellence (2002)
- "Providing Quality Architectural Design in Blast Resistant Buildings" for session entitled "Aesthetic Considerations in Blast Resistant Design", American Concrete Institute Convention, March 2000, San Diego, CA
Project Managers, Architects, Planners, Preservationists and LEEDap Designers
BELL Architects’ professional group includes architects, planners and preservationists. Each professional team member brings unique experiences to BELL’s projects, providing insight and creativity. BELL’s LEED accredited staff are skilled in sustainable design, historic preservation, new construction and adaptive reuse. The team offers our clients forward-thinking solutions for projects of all sizes and complexity.
- Degreed Professionals in Architecture, Urban Planning, Historic Preservation and Interior Design
- LEEDap Architects and Designers
- LEEDap BD+C Architects
- Historical Preservation
- Urban Planning
Boards & Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- DC Preservation League
- Association for Preservation Technology (APT)
- International Facility Management Association (IFMA)
- High Performance Building Committee, AIA DC
- Committee on the Environment (COTE), AIA DC
- US Green Building Council
- AIA DC - Special Citation in Historic Resources
- AIA DC- Presidential Citation for Sustainable Design
- AIA DC- Award for Excellence in Historic Resources
- AIA Scholarship Award for Architectural Design
- Outstanding Achievement in Historic Preservation
- International Interior Design Association, IIDA, Commercial Design Award
- International Illumination Design Award, IIDA
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties, NAOIP, Best Interiors - Commerical Space
The BELL Architects Team has gone above and beyond the call of duty on this project in insuring that the client has been well-informed of the options and alternative solutions, effectively brokering agreements from various public review agencies and participating in necessary community meetings.
BELL Architects has proven to be a reliable and responsible firm and has provided excellent services. We would recommend BELL Architects to be a highly reputable firm, and as a previous client, we would look forward to working with BELL Architects again on future projects.
I commend BELL Architects for their sensitive appreciation of the property and for producing plans that will really compliment the historic architecture and enhance the usefulness of the site for all of us!
Bottom line: Excellent Customer Service. Extensive creativity.
BELL Architects works very proactively with us and our design/build clients to establish project requirements and to resolve design issues; are very responsive to our needs; and produce work of the highest professional quality. They have provided exceptional design work which is also technically excellent.